Modern Campaign and Advocacy Fundamentals
This course brings together advocates and campaigners for two interactive and challenging days to deepen their understanding of how to build a powerful, effective campaign that will address the root cause of the problems they’re working on.
We start by deepening our understanding of the problem, then explore where to direct your campaign’s force in order to shift the system and lead to meaningful change, and finally build the core elements of your campaign story that will inspire people to take action — and make your campaign a people-powered campaign.
Here’s what a few participants in a recent training had to say:
“Changed my approach when addressing a problem; gave an in depth breakdown in handling a problem since most times it’s easy to focus on symptoms”
“Helped me analyse the situation and use a systematic approach to develop an effective strategy for my campaign”
“Extremely informative, enlightening, motivating and empowering. You have provided tools that can be used across the board. Thank you!”
Modern Campaign Fundamentals involves two full, dynamic, experiential working days. Participants will:
- Learn about the core building blocks of effective, digital-era advocacy campaigns
- Practice developing a campaign strategy, based on a deep understanding of relevant root causes
- Learn how to tell compelling stories that engage key constituencies and build participation
- Apply the above lessons to a project they’re working on
- Challenges and opportunities of modern campaigning and advocacy landscape
- Harnessing moments of strategic opportunity
- Identifying root cause
- Developing a systems-based strategy
- Crafting and selecting high-impact, people-powered tactics
- Tactics (continued)
- Storytelling in the digital age
- Mass mobilising through calls to action
- Engaging people in long-term power building
- Putting it all together into a campaign plan
Is this for me?
This training is ideal for those who:
- Want to build (or strengthen) their understanding of campaigning and advocacy strategy — and ensure their tools and tactics are effectively supporting their overall mission or social change objectives.
- Currently work for or with campaigning organisations — in roles where a deeper understanding of campaigning would be useful. This training is also appropriate for individuals seeking future employment in advocacy / campaigning organisations, as well as those engaged in grassroots campaigns for social change unaffiliated with a specific organisation.
- Ideally, are joining with a colleague; this learning will be most easily applied if there’s at least one colleague who you can continue exploring with; more than one colleague would be even better.
- This training seeks to bring together a mix of people with different levels of experience.
Get in Touch
If you’d like to bring a Modern Campaign and Advocacy Fundamentals course to you (whether that’s an organisation, a convening or something else), we’d love to explore possibilities. Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in learning more about the course, and/or taking a look at the underlying materials? We’re happy to talk through the curriculum with partners and collaborators. Drop us a line on email and we’ll talk!