MobLab is a global innovation, training, and research hub dedicated to enabling a diverse network of changemakers to build a more just, peaceful, and sustainable world. Amidst growing threats—to people, the planet, and the very right to advocate for change—we equip campaigners around the world with the strategies, tools, tactics, and partners needed to win in the digital era.
We’re looking for creative and passionate people who bring diverse experiences and skills to our team of staff and freelancers. You care about change, are dedicated to people power, and want to help build a highly effective global hub for campaigning innovation and learning. These roles may be based anywhere in the world but location preferences may be outlined in the descriptions below.
Commitment to Diversity. MobLab is an equal opportunity employer. MobLab welcomes and values diversity of people, cultural experiences and perspectives. Our goal is to build a diverse and inclusive team that reflects the global campaigns and missions we serve.
Senior Project Leader
MobLab is accepting applications for a Senior Project Leader to work closely with the Global Director to manage and implement a varied portfolio of projects. We strongly encourage women and people of color to apply.
Key Responsibilities (not exhaustive)
Serve as lead project manager on key initiatives, managing up to senior staff, laterally to peer group, and externally to vendors, service providers, and partners, including:
- Design, management and implementation of large scale global events that engage the MobLab community, in collaboration with other teams and partners, including event planning/execution and logistics management.
- Financial management and reporting.
- Procuring services and managing vendors for a wide range of projects, including development and oversight on scopes of work, agreements, etc.
- Develop and manage a rapidly growing base of potential clients and partners and help convert interest to formal relationships.
- Identify strategic opportunities to engage the CIVICUS World Alliance for Civic Participation’s network of organisations.
- Identify and engage potential funding partners and sponsors for MobLab initiatives.
- Represent MobLab, its programs and its network in partnership conversations at events and in other contexts.
- Engage members, partners and other key stakeholders in relevant MobLab programmes and activities.
Skills / Experience
MobLab is a social impact start-up. We work in fast moving, evolving and responsive environments. You should be a self-starter, detailed oriented, excited about testing and know how to drive towards solutions. As part of a small, distributed team, you will need to be comfortable working independently, at times at under pressure with high degrees of uncertainty. We are a small team. Everyone pitches in where needed and is encouraged to to work in a collegial and complementary way.
- Excellent English language skills (written and verbal).
- Solid and demonstrated project management experience, including project management platforms for distributed teams.
- Familiarity with global civil society and experience working in a multi-cultural team.
- Prior experience with campaigning organizations, NGOs or social change initiatives.
- Previous experience developing/managing senior level staff, subordinate teams and partnerships.
- Strong internet and online collaboration skills, including Google Suite/Apps and web-based communication tools.
- Ability to travel internationally (may include remote / difficult locations).
Nice to Haves
- Marketing/communications experience helpful.
- Additional languages, particularly UN languages.
- Experience working in and with startups.
- Knowledge of agile and iterative management is a plus.
NOTE: This is a contract position through the end of 2017 with the potential to transition into a permanent role. Location flexible. Preference within three time zones of Eastern time, US.
To apply, please send an expression of interest and your credentials to email@example.com and include how you heard about the position. Please send any attachments as PDFs.
Network Builder and Community Connector
Mission: Develop and pilot ways to grow, connect, and support a global network of social change campaigners, organizers, and practitioners across institutions and social movements.
- Connect: Develop relationships with networks of campaigners, activists, organizations, and practitioners to help scale MobLab’s work and mission; build and maintain relationships with partners and allies.
- Support a team of volunteers responsible for building and growing relationships and enable them to advance their work.
- Grow: Develop outreach and promotion strategies to engage new communities, networks, and movements in MobLab programs, especially across Global South and East
- Engage: Design, organise, and facilitate co-design and peer learning opportunities and programs for campaigners and practitioners (e.g. virtual learning sessions as well as in-person convenings and events)
- Support development of systems that track and analyze network growth and quality
Skills / Experience
- Experience as an online community manager, organizer and/or campaigner.
- Working relationships in the global campaigning community and with social movements. Big plus if you’re familiar with international campaigning and/or campaigns in Africa, East Asia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.
- Experience with remote/virtual facilitation.
- Experience using CRM or similar tools to track and manage relationships at scale.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills (English); Additional language(s) a plus.
- MobLab is a social impact start-up; incumbents must be able to work in fast moving, evolving, and responsive environments.
NOTE: This is a contract position through the end of 2017 with the potential to transition into a permanent role. Location flexible. Preference for someone located in Global South.
To apply, please send an expression of interest and your credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send attachments as PDFs.
Are you a freelance writer/storyteller who reports on campaigning and digital organising? Have a story or opinion to share with global campaigners? Please get in touch.
MobLab is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.