MobLab is a global innovation, training, and research hub dedicated to enabling a diverse network of changemakers to build a more just, peaceful, and sustainable world. Amidst growing threats—to people, the planet, and the very right to advocate for change—we equip campaigners around the world with the strategies, tools, tactics, and partners needed to win in the digital era.
We’re looking for creative and passionate people who bring diverse experiences and skills to our team of staff and freelancers. You care about change, are dedicated to people power, and want to help build a highly effective global hub for campaigning innovation and learning. These roles may be based anywhere in the world but location preferences may be outlined in the descriptions below.
Commitment to Diversity. MobLab welcomes and values diversity of people, cultural experiences and perspectives. Our goal is to build a diverse and inclusive team that reflects the global campaigns and missions we serve.
Network Builder and Community Connector
Mission: Develop and pilot ways to grow, connect, and support a global network of social change campaigners, organizers, and practitioners across institutions and social movements.
- Connect: Develop relationships with networks of campaigners, activists, organizations, and practitioners to help scale MobLab’s work and mission; build and maintain relationships with partners and allies.
- Support a team of volunteers responsible for building and growing relationships and enable them to advance their work.
- Grow: Develop outreach and promotion strategies to engage new communities, networks, and movements in MobLab programs, especially across Global South and East
- Engage: Design, organise, and facilitate co-design and peer learning opportunities and programs for campaigners and practitioners (e.g. virtual learning sessions as well as in-person convenings and events)
- Support development of systems that track and analyze network growth and quality
Skills / Experience
- Experience as an online community manager, organizer and/or campaigner.
- Working relationships in the global campaigning community and with social movements. Big plus if you’re familiar with international campaigning and/or campaigns in Africa, East Asia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.
- Experience with remote/virtual facilitation.
- Experience using CRM or similar tools to track and manage relationships at scale.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills (English); Additional language(s) a plus.
- MobLab is a social impact start-up; incumbents must be able to work in fast moving, evolving, and responsive environments.
NOTE: This is a contract position through the end of 2017 with the potential to transition into a permanent role.
To apply, please send an expression of interest and your credentials to email@example.com. Please send attachments as PDFs.
The Content Editor guides the MobLab’s efforts create stories and case studies that appear on MobilisationLab.org. The Editor collaborates with writers, digital producers and a content strategist to develop and share content with a global network of changemakers and practitioners.
This person will lead writers, set a content calendar, explore new ways to tell MobLab stories be a global leader when it comes to how stories about social change are shared around the world.
- Recruit, engage, and maintain a diverse global team of writers to produce stories that meet content objectives.
- Contribute to developing and overseeing MobLab’s editorial priorities and agenda.
- Introduce and test new MobLab storytelling format by expanding use of audio, photography and video.
- Develop and maintain content calendar to ensure steady stream of content to meet editorial objectives.
- Help define and implement a vision for how best to tell global campaign innovation stories.
- Develop and test strategies for surfacing relevant story leads from around the world, especially Africa, East Asia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Latin America.
- Contribute to regular monitoring and evaluation of MobLab’s goals and objectives for knowledge sharing and peer learning.
Skills / Experience
- Experience guiding journalists and/or freelance writers, particularly in dispersed environments and teams.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to surfacing stories from Global South.
- Familiarity with social change advocacy / campaigns.
- Experience editing or writing about communications, organising, security and other technology.
- Demonstrated experience writing and editing in a journalism, investigative reporting and/or technical reporting environment (e.g. newspaper, blog, magazine).
To apply, please send an expression of interest and your credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ll be looking to fill additional roles soon, including:
- Project Leader / Program Officer
Are you a freelance writer/storyteller who reports on campaigning and digital organising? Please get in touch.